Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Ramen at Ginza

 
Last week, Marco took me out for my first Ramen experience.  We went to Ginza in Chinatown for a casual meal to round out the long weekend.
 
More photos after the jump...

 
The restaurant is small with long tables and wooden single benches.  You can smell the food when you walk in but the pine also is very effervescent of a chic little cottage.

 
We started off with the deep fried squid which Marco devoured on his own.  Normally I love squid and calamari but this one was a little too dense for my liking.  They bring it out with a wasabi paste and display it on a beautiful plate.

 
Then we got down to the business of Ramen.  We both ordered Spciy Tonkotsu Ramen, but I asked for half spice with mine and boy am I glad I did.  When it came, I thought our bowls had been mixed up, the spice level was quite up there.  After a few slurps though, I adjusted and tucked in.

 
The flavor is really hard to describe if you've never had it before.  It's completely different than Pho--obviously--with a meaty aroma from the broth.  Inside they throw in a soft boiled egg, shitake mushrooms, pork, green onions and more.  I would definitely try it again, but perhaps go for the chicken broth bowl instead.

 
Verdict:  I'm not sure if Ramen is my cup of tea, but I'd try it again.  You guys know I'm a huge Vietnamese food lover (Pho included) so this was definitely a different experience for my tastebuds.  Ultimately, it's inexpensive and filling and if you're open to trying new things, definitely a must.
 
SHARE:

1 comment

Ashley Page said...

I think you meant reminiscent, not effervescent, which is an adjective
(of a liquid) giving off bubbles; fizzy, or
vivacious and enthusiastic.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig